When you've gone over something AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN like I have, certain questions get answered, OTHERS SPRING UP! You mind plays tricks on you, YOU PLAY TRICKS BACK! It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps on knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting..."

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Heartfelt Intarsia

I totally forgot it was Valentine's Day. Which is good, I guess. I have had some pretty miserable ones, single and with someone. Like one time, I was dating a costume designer and he filled my room with these paper hearts he had cut out of red crepe paper and drawn. I mean, the room is filled with thes. Very romantic, but we were bitching at each other two hours later. This is such a made up holiday, it grosses me out. Here's another reason to buy more stuff if you're with someone in hopes of getting some action or feeling shitty about yourself if you're not with someone. Holidays are supposed to make you feel good, right? I went by the Godiva store in Times Square and there was a line around the Godiva store. All guys. I bet they were hating Valentine's day too. I do love chocoalte, though. So February 15 is my celebration, when all that love goes on SALE!
I am currently working on the Jesse's flames sweater from SNB Nation. It has these muscle car flames going up the sleeves in red and yellow on a black background. I am almost done w/ the first sleeve. It's been fun and I always like to push myself w/ each project, but the tangling yarns has been driving me bananas! Anyone have any tips. The best I've gotten so far is untangle the yarn every row before you turn it. Ok. I'll try it.
I have 2portable projects going now, too, because the sweater is too big now and the color change needs me to find a space to spread out. SO I'm making a kid mohair scarf as a "sorry I told you I'd make you a baby seater for your neice, but I didn't. And a sparkly, ribbon kerchief for myfirend Once I get my camera, if that ever happens I''ll show them off.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sean said...

The only advice I can give on changing colors is twist one way (say, clockwise) when turning to the next row...then the next time you turn your work, go counter clock wise. it's the only way I've found not to go completely bonkers...except that I very infrequently knit intarsia or fair isle becuase of this.

8:33 AM

 
Blogger markknitz said...

you know, just about everyone I've talked to says they don't do a lot of fair isle or intarsia b/c of the twisting. Before I joined the color on both sides I was carrying it over and made these big puckers b/c i didn't allow enough slack. well, now I know.

10:59 AM

 
Blogger Sean said...

OH,no...I know people who just LOVE it. There's a whole intarsia/fair Isle group on Yahoo, I think. Give me cables anyday over changing colors...just not appealing. However, over the summer I did knit one of the sweaters in the soon to be published Sally Melville's Knitting Experience "Color". The 3rd of 5 books. But I did it when I was laid off over the summer.

12:51 PM

 
Blogger markknitz said...

I am actually liking the intarsia. I love the color changing and the complexity of the pattern. I just wish there was faster way to do it. I LOVE cabling too. I made an alpace scarf out of the men's Tricoter sweater book that was a triple rippling cable. It made a star everywhere I went with it. It was a 12 stitch cable on a 1X1 rib. Woo-hoo. Ah, memories...

6:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home