When you've gone over something AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN like I have, certain questions get answered, OTHERS SPRING UP! You mind plays tricks on you, YOU PLAY TRICKS BACK! It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps on knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting..."

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

going to kill my mother

okay, i've done a little research on binding off and discovered that yes, i have been doing it the wrong way. i have just been looping over stitches not knitting them and then looping them over. no wonder that neck is so tight. also, i could never understand what bind off in pattern meant b/c i thought there was only one way to do it. arg. my mother taught me to knit a long time ago. so she taught me how to knit backwards (i used to always knit into the back of the stitch), purl backwards (i used to loop the yarn under the needle, not over) and bind off super super tight. i have always suspected that my casting method wasn't right (i do a long tail loop method with one needle.) now I am terrified that may be true. oh, all this dangerous knowledge! thanks a lot, Ma!!! actually, she probably never figured I would persist as a knitter and never was much ofone herself, so I cast no blame. Hell, maybe, if she's interested, I'll teach her.
pictures are coming soon! maybe as soon as Thursday! (yes, MarQ1 that is an Alison Moyet reference. have been a little obsessed lately.) am definitely doing to redo the collar w/ my newfound knowledge, but that shouldn't take that long.
Jesse's Flames Sweater is from Stitch N Bitch Nation. I'm going to make this bobbled cowl I found on Knitty, start a vest for my friend I"ve made before from Tricoter Simply Beautiful Sweaters for men. want to make this nubbled pillowcase from SNB Nation and knitted giftbag from Last Minute Knitted gifts.
I'm so tired. I feel that I"m spread a little thin and this fucking cold weather doesn't help. I WANT TO GO THE BEACH!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger MarQ1 said...

The long tail method is fine, but it can be like binding off: sometimes you need a larger needle. The backwards loop gives me extra yarn. The two-needle cast-on gives me the same effect as the long tail followed by a knit, but it takes longer and is just as tight. I'm a crochet provisional cast-on man.

3:29 PM

 
Blogger Bob in Cincy said...

Should I even bring up the "Cable Cast-on" whereby you start with your slip knot (not really caring how long your tail is, just long enough to weave in comfortably later).

Then you knit (into the front, out the back) and pull the loop through, and place it on the non-dominant-hand needle with an insignificant 90-degree turn on the X-axis and 90-degree turn on the Y-axis). Damn, that didn't make any sense. OK, just put the knit loop back onto your lefthand needle, but don't twist it.

To cast on additional stitches, put your dominant-hand needle through the space between your two stitches (front to back), YO (CCW if you're looking down on the tip of the righthand needle), and pull through. Place that loop on your righthand needle. Keep doing this until you have enough stitches!

The Cable Cast-On is described and illustrated in Debbie Stoller's "Stitch n' Bitch" and the Quick Reference section of "Stitch 'n Bitch Nation".

Good luck! *heheheh* Oh, there are tons of ways to cast-on, bind-off, and knit. So mom knew one way...that's a start. Diversify, diversify, diversify!

Bob in Cincy. :-)

3:30 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home