When you've gone over something AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN like I have, certain questions get answered, OTHERS SPRING UP! You mind plays tricks on you, YOU PLAY TRICKS BACK! It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps on knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting and knitting..."

Thursday, April 14, 2005

lace is like life

i had to go on for my actor again on tuesday. i did ok, but there were a couple of people in the audience that i didn't think were going to be there and when i heard them laugh it kind of thru me. i did okay, but i wasn't as focussed as usual and i screwed up a couple of times. as my scene partner reminded me after the show, thanks jack! anyway, it was fun. i will miss it.
am about two thirds of the way done with the branching out scarf. i seem to have stitches disappear. i don't drop them, they just kind of go away. i feel like i know the pattern well enough to fake it or repair it and it doesn't seem to be affecting how it looks. just aggravating. like like. i'm doing everything right, why isn't this coming out perfectly?

6 Comments:

Blogger Jon said...

I would rip it out. If you aren't happy with the way it is now, you aren't going to be happy with the finished product. Rip rip rip!

7:12 AM

 
Blogger markknitz said...

i donwanna. i think you're right tho.

11:21 AM

 
Blogger Tres said...

Sometimes the best blog entries start out, "after frogging and starting over 3 times, I finally am underway with the..."

At some point you just have to accept that ripping is part of knitting.

On the other hand, I have gone into projects with full knowledge that this project is not going to display my best knitting ever, and there may be minor mistakes that I will live with. Deciding this beforehand can head off the disappointment you seem to be experiencing.

Also, stitches don't just 'go away' spontaneously. Try to really analyze the work and see what went wrong. You'll learn what to watch out for as you go so you don't make the same mistake again.

Sometimes you don't have to rip it out to fix something. You might be able to take a stitch off the needle, undo the line of stitches from each other down to the mistake, and close it back up with a crochet hook.

4:04 PM

 
Blogger Bob in Cincy said...

I'm just wondering if we'll ever get a chance to see any pics? :-)

*bats eyelashes*

*ahem*

*peers around at the disgruntled, technologically-impaired silence that pervades the aether*

Well, maybe not just now? I guess I could wait. :-P

But, if you're missing stitches, and it seems to be bothering you...how bad would it be to frog it and take back your prince-kiss? Afterall, it takes a frog to get a prince...maybe two or three...or seventeen...?

My RAOK package to you will be winging its way by tmw...via Priority Mail. Hopefully you'll get it by Tuesday of next week. *smooch!*

The knitting - Break a Needle!
The acting - Break a Leg!
The writing/directing/producing/multi-tasking - Break a Pencil!

Best wishes from Cincy!

Bob

12:26 AM

 
Blogger Sean said...

in my experience with lace, I would guess that they are missed or dropped yarn-overs. They won't unravel like a dropped stitch will, but will mess with your count. Just a guess tho...and I agree with Jon...if you're not happy now...you won't be able to pick it up without this GLARING at you later.

...use lifelines later...makes ripping easier!

8:12 AM

 
Blogger MarQ1 said...

Jeez, Mark, at this point I'm willing to post your photos for you. Send 'em. I'll post 'em.
Frogging's fun. Gives you something to b*tch about. I should know.

9:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home